Vintage flowers

Sunday, January 29, 2012

a belated post

Hmmm, I guess I did promise a post after last weekend, didn't I? I guess I should get on that.

Flippancy aside, I have a very good reason for missing last week's promised post. It was a very busy weekend running back and forth between the city and home, I think I made the drive to Cowtown or back at least once every day. Visiting friends, attending workshops, dropping people off at the airport...on top of which, I got some serious news (my father was taken to hospital on Friday - precautionary measure, he was released the next day). Needless to say, I was VERY tired after all that.  I also received some exciting news which quite honestly has had me preoccupied the entire week.

One of the events I went to that weekend was a belly dance workshop with some of the girls in the local troupe. It was my first workshop, and my goodness, what an experience! I've never danced that long all at once or learned a new choreography in such a short amount of time. I was hiding from the videos at the end, because after 2.5 hours of non-stop dancing, my muscles just were not responding anymore and I was a hot mess. A hot, tired, sweaty, uncoordinated mess. But it seems the mess was worth it, as I've been invited to dance with the troupe for the annual Canada Day performance!! *squee!*

I've been hoping and dreaming that one day I'd be good enough to dance with these wonderful ladies, every since I moved here and first saw them perform. It is a venture not to be taken lightly, if nothing else buying your costume is a significant financial investment (~$400..eek!). It's intimidating, but I think I'm up for the challenge. So this past week I've been doing what I do best: obsessing over costumes, hair extensions, and working on getting this body into graceful, midriff-baring shape. This mostly involved cruising belly dance forums on the internet, but I did make a point of being more active and practicing with some of my DVDs. July 1 is a ways away, so I've got time  to work on the graceful thing :P

So yes, I've been more than a little distracted. Also, the BF was out of town for the week so I was keeping myself busy with things around the house so I wouldn't go crazy with loneliness...while my the house is now clean all the way up to the bathroom ceiling (yes, I did bleach it) it didn't leave much time for blogging.

I did watch Bill Maher last night, and it got me thinking about faith, the supernatural, and their compatibility with science and the rational mind. There's a post brewing in my mind on those topics, but I haven't quite fleshed it out yet. Perhaps I'll have one ready for you all* in a few days.

Hope you have an excellent Monday tomorrow!

*all 1 of you. Yes, I actually have one follower now!!!*

**yes, the excessive use of exclamation marks is justified in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment